Join us in welcoming our newest WWA grassroots group, Valdez Adventure Alliance!
Winter Wildlands Alliance is hiring! We are a tight team dedicated to our work and looking to add a new position to the roster! The position is based in Boise—no remote or telecommuting options. This search closes April 8, 2020.
The Winter Wildlands Alliance Board of Directors and Staff enthusiastically welcome Todd Walton as the new Executive Director beginning April 8th, 2019. Todd comes to Winter Wildlands Alliance as a member, avid backcountry enthusiast, adventurer, and advocate. His many years of experience in the outdoor and winter sports industries — combined with a deep-rooted passion for our mission, our organization, and wild winter refuges — create the foundation for the next chapters in our growing movement.
During our search, we sought candidates who could both grow our organization and expand our outreach, as well as stay true to the core culture and mission that our staff, members, volunteers, grassroots partners, SnowSchool partners, and Backcountry Film Festival partners have created since our organization was founded in 2000. We feel honored that so many talented, passionate, and qualified members of the community expressed interest in leading this organization. The energy under the surface of the movement is deep and vital.
“Being in the backcountry offers an experience that is more and more necessary as it connects the individual to the self and the natural world,” says Walton. “I’m humbled and honored to be leading such an amazing group of people doing collaborative work in policy, advocacy, education, and events that make experiences like these possible. The community built around Winter Wildlands has the potential and responsibility to speak bigger and bolder for the soul of winter.”
Todd brings 20 years of outdoor industry experience as a global brand communications and marketing leader, business owner, and trade executive for brands that include Outdoor Research, Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Snowsports Industries America, and Outdoor Industry Association. Additionally, he has served on the board of numerous conservation, recreation, and tourism nonprofits, notably as president of Washington Trails Association. We at Winter Wildlands Alliance are fortunate to have a dynamic new leader with such breadth and depth of experience.
“As a longtime Winter Wildlands member and enthusiast, Todd has recognized and celebrated the importance of our mission for many years,” says Board President John Garder. “Working with the board and our talented and dedicated staff, Todd will bring substantial experience, acumen, and stoke to the organization as we continue our work to protect the places so many people treasure.”
Please join us in welcoming Todd! He can be reached via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org and welcomes your insights, comments, and questions on what’s coming next.
At the crossroads of conservation and recreation, Winter Wildlands Alliance is the national nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting and preserving winter wildlands and a quality human-powered winter sports experience. We are proud to support more than 100 grassroots environmental organizations and backcountry partners, advocating for policies that preserve and protect wild winter refuge on public lands.
Keeping Winter Wild,
Winter Wildlands Alliance Board of Directors
Winter Wildlands Alliance seeks a person with demonstrable experience and expertise in non-profit membership growth and engagement who can work to:
- Develop and implement a robust membership growth and engagement strategy for Winter Wildlands Alliance for the dual purpose of creating sustainable annual program revenue and increasing organizational political leverage and engagement on issues relevant to members;
- Develop and implement sustainable and authentic strategies to improve email contact and membership funnel, conversion from email contact to paid member, and long-term membership retention;
- Work with existing networks of brands, Corporate Partners, Backcountry Partners, grassroots groups, retailers, educators, and other potential partners and sponsors to develop and implement a high-quality, authentic, inspiring and cost-effective program of member discounts and other member benefit opportunities at varying levels;
- Develop and implement a growth-oriented annual budget that balances the cost of member engagement and benefit fulfilment (product, collateral, member benefit costs, shipping, staff time, etc.) with sustainable program revenue;
- Strengthen WWA’s membership acquisition and retention via creative communications and campaigns, including: print newsletter, annual member guide, email, social media, digital advertising, events, partnerships, and beyond;
- With Advocacy Director and other program/department leads (SnowSchool, Backcountry Film Festival), develop and implement consistently inspiring membership messaging and communications to improve member activation on policy actions and other program work;
- With Program Administrator, manage and maintain membership database/CRM and track conversion, retention and engagement analytics across channels and media.
Position is half-time, either from our office in Boise, ID or remote. Compensation commensurate with experience. Working knowledge of WordPress and EveryAction CRM tools highly preferred.
To apply/inquire, email us a resume and cover letter/proposal.