Take the National Snowpack Prediction Challenge
Snow is our source of water! Do you have what it takes to be a snow hydrologist?
We want to know your prediction for how much snow you think there will be in your local mountains during winter 2023-24! Whoever makes the most accurate prediction wins! Predictions are due by February 2nd 2024 to be in the Early Winter Division. Predictions are due by March 8th 2024 to be in the Late Winter Division.
Participating is easy:
- Watch the video introduction provided below for a visual walk through of how to make your prediction or follow the instructions below.
- Use the NRCS SNOTEL map to zoom in on the remote snowpack monitoring station that is closest to you. *Note if you don’t have one close to your community, you can still participate in the contest by using our USFS Rocky Mountain Research Station designed SnowSchool Weather Station at the National Flagship SnowSchool site in Boise, which is one of the stations modeled in the video.
- Make your prediction for the season’s maximum snowpack depth and snow-water equivalent levels at your local mountain weather station (if that doesn’t quite make sense, watch the short explanatory video below). Be sure to take a look at the current snowpack depth and snow water equivalent at the SNOTEL site nearest you. Also study historical trends (this is really important for informing your prediction) and consider any forecasts made for this year by snow and climate scientists!
- Enter your prediction by clicking this link. Predictions are automatically posted to the chart below. Predictions are due by February 2nd 2024 to be in the Early Winter Division. Predictions are due by March 8th 2024 to be in the Late Winter Division.
- Whoever gets closest wins the prize! Check back to see how your prediction is holding up against other competitors! Winners will be announced in April 2024 and a wrap-up science presentation will be provided for all participants (via video and email).
Interested in participating in your local snowpack prediction challenge? Find Your Local Prediction Contest and submit your predictions today!
“How To” Video
Snowpack Prediction Contests by Region
In addition to the National Snowpack Prediction Challenge described above, Winter Wildlands Alliance also hosts smaller local Snowpack Prediction Contests designed to follow-up with the SnowSchool field trips in specific communities. This activity utilizes local snow/weather stations to engage students and teachers once they are back in their classroom. Participating in your local Snowpack Prediction Contest is simple, fun and transforms learning at SnowSchool from a one day outing into a winter-long science exploration!
Regional Snowpack Prediction Contests by State:
Northern Sierra Region (CA/NV)
Mammoth Lakes (located to the south)
Winter Wildlands Alliance is a national nonprofit organization working to
inspire and empower people to protect America’s wild snowscapes.